Eating Well is one of my favorite cooking magazines and websites to find recipes in/on. The recipes are fairly healthy and easy to adapt to fit your needs and tastes. Being from California tacos and fajitas are one favorite foods and they can be quick and easy to make. One of my recent favorites is an adaptation of this Eating Well recipe. Plus the recipe is dairy, egg, nut and gluten free!
*This recipe will make four servings of 2 tacos each
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 5 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 lb chicken (cut into ¼ inch strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- ¼ red onion (cut into slices)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (cubed)
- 2 thick slices of fresh pineapple (cubed)
- 3 tbsp. red onion (cubed)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro (diced)
- ½ of a jalapeño (diced)
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 8 corn tortillas (warmed)
Teriyaki Sauce Instructions
- Mix soy sauce, 1 cup of water, the garlic powder, brown sugar and honey in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Dissolve cornstarch in ¼ cup of cold water. Mix into sause pan.
- Heat until sauce thickens (roughly 8 minutes).
Taco Filling Instructions
- Combine chicken, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and ¼ of a onion in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ingredients to a large sauce pan with a small bit of oil and cook on medium heat.
- Cook 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Toss meat and vegetables with teriyaki sauce.
Pineapple Salsa Instructions
- Combine tomatoes, pineapple, 3 tbsp. red onion, cilantro and jalapeño in a bowl.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Divide the taco filling a pineapple salsa into eights and place in the warmed tortillas. There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe, but it is fairly easy to make! Let me know what you think below. Until next time… CB