I have been experimenting to create the ultimate summer cocktail. Something that is light, refreshing and a little bit sweet. Something that can be sipped at weekend brunch or at an evening garden party. I love drinks like this, but they can be hard to find at a restaurant or perfect on your own. Because we don’t know when restaurants will be opening up, I decided it was time to take summer cocktails into my own hands.
There was the amazing speakeasy that my friends and I would go to from time to time after we graduated from college. It was this such a nice change from all of the crappy college bars we had been used to. It was also one of the first places I really started to dive into the world of craft cocktails. There was this really amazing cocktail I got one night that was so delicious. It was light, a little bit sweet and so refreshing. It is a cocktail I still remember to this day. That has become the inspiration for my cocktail adventure.
2 ounces vodka (you can use gin as well if that is what you prefer)
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
0.5 ounces simple syrup (can easily be made at home; 1 part sugar, 1 part water)
8 thin slices of cucumber
12 mint leaves
3 ounces champagne or Prosecco
- In a drink mixer, muddle together the raspberries, cucumber and mint leaves. Muddle until well juiced and incorporated.
- Add to the vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup. Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Place a strainer over the drink mixer and a second strainer over your glass. Pour your mixture through both strainers into your glass.
- Top the drink with your champagne.
- Garnish with a mint leaf, cucumber slice and raspberry, if you would like.
- Drink and enjoy!
Note: This recipe will be enough for two cocktails.
What is your favorite summer cocktail? I have to say this is probably mine! That are a simple glass of wine. Until next time, friends… CML